James Sykes Battye Memorial Fellowship
Applications for the 2013 James Sykes Battye Memorial Fellowship have closed
To commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the Battye Library, the Library Board of Western Australia established the James Sykes Battye Memorial Fellowship.
The Fellowship, up to the value of $10 000, has been established through the Leah Jane Cohen Library Bequest. Leah Jane Cohen was a keen supporter of the Library and her enduring generosity will enable others to use the Battye collections to further our understanding of Western Australia.
The aims of the Fellowship are to:
- Promote the J.S. Battye Library of West Australian History as a centre of original research and scholarship in Western Australia;
- Encourage use of the unique collections of the J.S. Battye Library of West Australian History; and
- Encourage research, publication, presentation and discussion based on them.
Eligibility and Terms of Fellowship
Applications are open to Australian residents who may be historical or contemporary scholars, researchers, writers, or those in creative industries with a strong interest in research based on the State Library of Western Australia, J.S. Battye Library of West Australian History collections. Research based on the Western Australian music collections is also eligible for a Fellowship.
Research which identifies and explores an underrepresented area of the J.S. Battye Library of West Australian History is encouraged. In this instance, Fellows will have the opportunity to work with the Liaison, Acquisition and Description Team, to build this aspect of the Battye collection if they wish.
Fellowships are not available:
- Where the research would be part of the applicant's regular paid employment;
- Where the research would result in a work of fiction; or
- To current State Library of Western Australia employees.
Potential applicants are encouraged to discuss their project ideas with Dr Kate Gregory before they submit an application.
Dr Kate Gregory
State Library of Western Australia
Phone: 08 9427 3480
How to Apply
Applications close 5pm Friday 17 May 2013. Late applications will not be considered.
Applications can be made on a printed copy of the Application Form available here.
Please see Information for Applicants.
Page last updated: Thursday 4 September 2014