Find Telephone numbers and Postcodes
The quickest way to find a current telephone number is to use the internet - but how do you find the right website? Sometimes a print resource may still be the best way to find what you need. This guide will help you find the sites and publications you can use to find that elusive phone number.
If you are tracing lost family members you may need to contact the Salvation Army Family Tracing Service or the Australian Red Cross Around the World Tracing and Refugee Service.
If you are researching your family history more information and resources are available in our Guide to Family History.
- White Pages Australia's online telephone directory. Search by name for Australian business, residential and government phone numbers (and addresses). Connect to business websites and location maps. Link to weather, postcodes, international dialing codes and more.
- Yellow Pages Australia's online Yellow Pages business directory. Search for businesses by name, type and location. Browse for a business by category. Connect to business websites and location maps.
- Telstra Directory Assistance Links, email and phone numbers for directory assistance.
Print and other library resources
- A complete set of the latest yellow and white page telephone directories for New South Wales, Northern Territory, Queensland, Tasmania, Victoria, South Australia, Canberra and Western Australia is held on the first floor of the Alexander Library Building.
- Western Australian telephone directories are available in print and on microfiche (dating back to 1919, but with some gaps) in the Battye Library on the third floor of the Alexander Library Building.
- Australian Companies Telephone numbers and postal addresses for Australian companies may also be available in business directories and annual reports found in publications and databases accessible in the Alexander Library Building.
- The Phone Book (British Telecom) Directory enquiry service for people and businesses in the United Kingdom. Where available it gives full addresses including postcodes and location maps. (Please note that many UK subscribers are ex-directory, that is not listed in the phone book) Has extensive help information.
- Infobel.com World Hundreds of links to yellow pages, white pages, business, email , address and fax directories for more than 200 countries.
- Google Directory Address and Phone numbers Links to more phone directory websites.
- British Phone Books 1880-1984 can be searched on Ancestry Library Edition in the Alexander Library (or any other subscribing library)
- Numberway: a useful collection of links. Includes a section offering recent links.
- PhonebookoftheWorld.com offers a wide selection of links to cities and countries.
Print and other Library Resources
- Overseas Companies Telephone numbers and postal addresses for overseas companies may also be available in business directories and annual reports found in publications and databases accessible in the Alexander Library Building.
- Australia Post Postcode Search Find Australian postcodes for suburbs and towns, and general postal information for other countries
- White Pages Find a Postcode Find Australian postodes for suburbs and towns, check existing postcodes.
- Royal Mail Postcode Finder Search for United Kingdom postcodes using a combination of street number or building name, street and town name. Limited to 15 searches a day.
- United States Postal Service Zip Code Lookup Search for United States postcodes (zipcodes). Search by address, city or company.
- New Zealand Post Address & Postcode Finder Search by street, box/bag number or postcode.
- Universal Postal Union Postcode Sites by Country Alphabetical list of countries providing links to postcode sites.
- GRC Database Information Links to Postal Code Pages An alphabetical list of links to postcode search services an d postal inforamtion for 60 countries (includes commercial services).
- Google Directory Postal Codes Links to more postal code websites.
Page last updated: Tuesday 6 March 2012