Find Industry Information
Profiles of many worldwide industries plus industry news, statistics, directories and guides to industry and trade associations are available through the Library. Check the Library catalogue under specific industries.
A good starting point for current industry reports and information is through the business databases available for searching in the Library.
There are a number of eresources available for business research in the State Library. Search results from these resources may be printed; downloaded to a thumb drive or CD-ROM; or emailed your own computer (subject to the licence agreements and software functionality of individual databases). eresources are also available, with membership, from the National Library of Australia. Of particular use in industry information are:
- The IBISWorld database offers a collection of industry market research, industry risk ratings and company research. This source of Australian business information provides independent and accurate research on over 500 industries and Australia's top 2000 companies.
Access: available on site in the State Library of Western Australia (SLWA) building and, with membership of SLWA, remote access also.
Applied Science and Technology Full Text
H.W. Wilson: This database covers a wide range of applied science specialties from leading trade and industrial journals, professional and technical society journals, specialised subject periodicals, buyers guides, directories and conference proceedings. Content includes the full text of articles from more than 220 periodicals back to 1997, indexing and abstracting of almost 800 periodicals as far back as 1984, graphical content and podcasts.
Access: available with membership from the eResources of the National Library of Australia (NLA).
Available for document delivery to Australian libraries.
- Business Source Premier (BSP)
Provides industry reports from Datamonitor and industry research reports/updates from a wide selection of journals, industry literature, and newspapers.
Access: available at the State Library of Western Australia (SLWA) and with SLWA membership from your own computer or mobile device.
Dow Jones: Factiva (Dow Jones and Proquest) provides access to global news and business information as well as full text coverage of major Australian and international newspapers and journals. Same-day news wires, company reports, investment analyst reports, market research reports, country and regional profiles, company profiles, and historical market data are also provided. Coverage of individual publications varies widely.
Access: available, with membership, from the eResources of the National Library of Australia (NLA)
Available for document delivery from the NLA to Australian libraries.
- Australian Business to Business (Australian B2B)
JPM Media: Australian Business to Business is a guide to exporting Australian companies and the products and services that they sell. Formerly known as Australian Exporters and Manufacturers, Australian B2B has been published since 1964 and includes details on over 47 000 companies and over 56 000 executive names. Published by JPM Media this database contributes to the Komapss global network of databases.
Access: Available with membership from the eResources of the National Library of Australia (NLA).
- Australian Standards Online
SAI Global: This database provides full text access to all current Australian Standards, Joint ISO/Australian Standards, Joint NZ/Australian Standards, current Draft Australian Standards, and amendments to Australian Standards. Printing is permitted (within the limits of the Copyright Act, and one page at a time), but electronic copying and emailing are prohibited under the licence terms and conditions. Some International Standards, including European Standards (known as ENs, or European Norme), which are equivalent national standards for all members of the European Union, are also included.
Access: available only on computers in the State Library of Western Australia building
The State Library provides access to newspapers from the most local to specialist and international titles. Newspapers are available in several formats.
Selected Key Websites
- Department of Innovation, Industry,Science, and Research Industries and Sectors Provides information about particular Australian industry sectors and issues affecting industry as a whole
- Austrade a selected list of industry overviews which provides trend and market information.
- Department of State Development works with industry, community and government agencies on major industrial developments
- Chamber of Commerce and Industry Western Australia (CCIWA) The Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Western Australia promotes the growth of business and industry. Some very useful information is available on the website with more extensive information available to members.
- Department of Agriculture, Fisheries, and Forestry (DAFF) Offers information on the Australian agricultural industries
- culture.gov.au is an Australian culture and recreation portal. It offers links to over 4 thousand websites about the Australian cultural and recreational industry. Browse by category, location and/or audience
- Hoovers Online Industry Overviews Offers company company information with detailed business reports and industry profiles. Full reports are offered at cost
Page last updated: Monday 21 January 2013