- The following books are identified as suitable for students and give an overview of the topic:
- FINKEL, George Western Australia, 1829-1900 (Q994.1 FIN)
Gold and Paddy Hannan pp. 73+
- HASLUCK, Alexandra Western Australia’s colonial years (994.102 HAS)
The gold rushes pp. 24+
- KOUTSOUKIS, A J Western Australia: a brief history (994.1 KOU)
Gold transforms the Colony, 1885-1894 pp. 45-55.
- ODIJK, Pamela Western Australia (994.1 ODI)
The Western Australian gold rush pp. 17-18.
- On This Side: themes and issues in Western Australian history (994.1 ONT)
Gold: did it transform society? pp. 161-174.
- ROWE, R J Gold in Western Australia: a reference book of gold industry technology (Q669.22 ROW) Includes history, economics, geology, exploration, mining, extraction, refining, environmental and social issues.
- STOKES, John The Western State (994.1 STO)
Bayley and Ford, Paddy Hannan.
- Western Australia: an atlas of human endeavour (Q994.1 WES)
Includes large colour maps and text pp. 90-99.
For More Information Check:
- Online Catalogue – for books, pamphlets, oral histories, maps and private archive material.
- General Index (Battye) (microfiche) – for general newspaper and serial articles indexed prior to 1984.
- Biographical Index (Battye) (microfiche) – for newspaper and serial articles about people indexed prior to 1984.
- Pictorial Collection (card) and online catalogue – for photographs.
Some Subject Headings To Search Under:
- Gold mines and mining
- People’s names e.g. Hannan, Patrick
- Place names e.g. Kanowna, Eastern Goldfields
- Mine names e.g. Mt Charlotte Gold Mine
Also try general histories of Western Australia.
How To Obtain An Item
Items from our storage stack areas can now be requested on line. If you require an item from stack simply click on REQUEST and follow the prompts. For items from the General or Biographical Indexes note the reference e.g. WA 25/6/1983 p. 4 and staff will be pleased to indicate where the item may be found.
The Battye Library holds newspapers which were published in goldmining towns e.g. Kalgoorlie Miner, Kookynie Advocate. Newspapers can be located on the online catalogue using a key word search under the name of the town and 'Newspapers'.
Browsing the shelves is another way of finding information. Some useful numbers are: 338.2 Extraction of Minerals, 622 Mining, 994.1 History, 994.16 Goldfields History. Biographies are shelved at the end of the number sequences and prefixed by a ‘B’ e.g. B/FOR.
Remember, if you need help ask at the enquiry desk or visit our website.
Page last updated: Thursday 1 September 2011