Current Volunteer Positions
Be a Virtual Volunteer
Text corrections on Trove
Trove is a collection of databases built with the collaboration of major libraries of Australia and run by the National Library of Australia. It's most well known feature is the digitised collection of pre-1955 Australian newspapers.
Thousands of newspaper articles have been electronically transcribed and require mistakes to be corrected. Single letters, words, lines or entire articles can be corrected.
1. Go to Trove WA newspapers for the list of WA newspapers.
2. Sign up, log in or proceed without an account
3. There is a prioritized list of WA newspapers published during WW1 to text correct. Go to one of the following:
- All British 1916
- Camp Chronicle 1915-1918
- Collie Mail 1914-1918
- Eastern Recorder 1914-1918
- Harvey Chronicle 1915-1916
- Labor Vanguard 1911 & 1916
- Nor-west Echo 1914-1918
- Sparks Fortnightly 1916-1919
4. Find an issue by clicking on one of the months highlighted in blue.
5. Click on a date highlighted in blue.
6. Click on an article listed on the left hand side of the webpage, in blue (advertising is also listed and may required text correcting).
7. Check to see if there are any errors in the electronically translated text by comparing it to the highlighted article to its right.
8. To correct any errors, click Fix this Text. you will then be able to make your changes.
9. If you need to move or enlarge the article there are scroll and zoom bars on the bottom right hand side.
10. Click Save to save your changes and continue editing. For long articles it is recommended to save every 10-15 lines.
11. Click Cancel to discard changes made sine the last Save.
12. When you have finished click Save & Exit to save your changes and exit the edit mode.
You can also tag articles by clicking Add Tags. Separate each tag with a coma, leave Public and click Save.
All of this work helps make WA content more accessible to the community.
Page last updated: Friday 27 November 2015