State Library partnership with Minderoo Foundation
- Minderoo Foundation partners with State Library to fund major history project
- Project to re-trace Sir John Forrest’s 1874 trek from Geraldton to Adelaide
- Award-winning Storylines will capture an Aboriginal point of view
A new partnership between the State Library of Western Australia and Andrew and Nicola Forrest's Minderoo Foundation has been forged to deliver a unique project in 2018-19.
Entitled ‘From another View’ the project will retrace and reinterpret Sir John Forrest’s 1874 trek from Geraldton to Adelaide.
The original expedition in search of inland water resources that could sustain settlement was a remarkable journey through areas unchartered by Europeans.
The expeditioners endured extreme hardship, however it encountered communities of Aboriginal people who had thrived for tens of thousands of years.
The project will serve as the catalyst for re-imagining the history of exploration from various community and creative perspectives:
- Community engagement – the State Library’s award-winning Storylines model of digital repatriation and reinterpretation of documentary heritage will be used to engage with Aboriginal communities along the trek.
- Creative Interpretation – indigenous and non-indigenous artists will re-interpret the expedition that was led by Forrest and guided by two Aboriginal trackers.
- Research – further investigation into private and public papers relating to Forrest’s expedition will be undertaken to contribute to the greater understanding of collecting legacies around exploration history.
A number of regional displays, public programs, educational resources, engagement with aboriginal communities in the Yamatji and Western Desert areas, commissioned artworks and a major exhibition at the State Library in 2019 will be delivered by the partnership.
Comments attributed to Culture and the Arts Minister David Templeman:
“This significant partnership will enable the State Library to continue to meet its commitment of treasuring the stories of Western Australia. .
“Western Australians will be able to reimagine the expedition undertaken in 1874 through the programs, displays, resources and exhibitions offered by the State Library in 2019
“I applaud Andrew and Nicola Forrest and their Minderoo Foundation for the philanthropic commitment and support of the State Library of Western Australia.”