Join the library - it's free!
Collecting for the Future
The objectives of the State Library's collecting focus is to:
- meet the learning and information needs of Western Australians, no matter where in the state they reside;
- fulfill the need for recreation and enjoyment;
- maintain a heritage collection of Western Australian material to preserve in perpetuity;
- enable access to a common cultural heritage;
- provide specific areas of information and expertise; and
- maintain and support literacy and life-long learning.
Collection Development Policy
The State Library collects material for heritage, reference and public library collections. Specialist collections are held in the areas of indigenous, family history, Australian children’s literature and Western Australian music, in a range of categories and formats, including digital, which are made available through the State Library in Perth and all public libraries in Western Australia.
The basis for State Library collecting is outlined in the Developing our Collections: a Collection Development Policy Framework (PDF 600KB). This policy guides the selecting and collecting practices and ensures that collections are developed in line with the State Library’s key purpose and directions. It may be updated at any time to reflect changes in strategic direction or agreed policy changes.
The basis for State Library collecting is to:
- preserve documentary resources associated with Western Australia to provide Western Australians with perpetual access to their documentary heritage
- enable access to Western Australia’s documentary heritage to tell Western Australians’ stories to all
- provide Western Australians with free and equitable access to documentary resources in response to their immediate needs for learning, growth and enjoyment
Documentation outlining the development of State Library collections is vital to:
- support collection decisions;
- focus collection decisions and resources;
- ensure that collecting is aligned to the State Library’s Strategic Directions;
- provide a foundation for funding submissions and allocations; and
- communicate the focus of State Library collecting.
The State Library is established under the Library Board of Western Australia Act to manage the collection activities and the provision of library materials for the free public library system across the State. Collections under this governance arrangement are owned by the Library Board of Western Australia.
Other policies related to collection management at the State Library are:
Deselection Policy (PDF 76KB)
Reformatting Policy (PDF 120KB)